“Look for the bare necessities The simple bare necessities Forget about your worries and your strife I mean the bare necessities That’s why a
bear career girl can rest at ease With just the bare necessities of life”
These are the bare necessities that I have in and around my desk to make my life easier at work.
- Heels, Flats and Band-aids: Heels for when I’m having a lazy day in flats and get called in to a meeting. The flats are to rescue me on those days that I’m silly enough to think I can walk 5 blocks in heels to meet my lunch buddy, and band-aids, well pretty much for the same reason.
- T-Shirt, Yoga Pants and Thongs: For a quick yoga session at the gym across the road during my lunch break. I should be able to claim my gym membership from work because really, the whole office benefits when I am slightly more zen.
- Coin purse: To uhh…generously contribute to the kitchen’s charity chocolate sales, and for 3.30pm coffee runs.
- Green tea and muesli bars: For those rare intense moments of concentration where going out to get lunch or taking a bathroom break is optional.
- Tissues: For when I spill my coffee, sushi, fruit salad, tomato sauce (not all at once) all over my keyboard. Or for that one time I simultaneously broke down into tears and got a blood nose in front of my Manager. Yep, that was kind of a stressful day.
- Clear water bottle: This must be clear with a wide screw top lid (for easy cleaning) because for some reason, I get super paranoid about micro dust particles accumulating in the opaque aluminium bottles.
- Retractable phone charger: So I can obsessively check my text messages without cluttering my desk. Is it sad that I feel ultra high tech for having this device? Yep, that’s me, always on the cutting edge of technology.
- And finally, some hand cream which I actually never, ever use but keep anyway because it makes me seem like a responsible adult who has it together enough to be concerned about their hand moisture levels.
- I have edited this post to add: Mints and Ibuprofen (as pointed out to me by the lovely blogger at Through The Looking Glass and Down The Rabbit Hole. I am waay too OCD not to add these to the list as they are definitely essentials! If you have Ibuprofen, you have the power.)
That Career Girl